06 August 2009

Last Week

I have to say that I am disappointed in myself. I am less than 48 hours away from flying home. The last week of my time here in Scotland, I have to say, is the highlight of my journey. I am just now getting to see life through the eyes of a local. I am getting out and just living my life, not having it planned out for me. I have gone to a few local hot spots, gone to the William Wallace Monument and just living I guess you could say. And more than ever I realize that although there are things that I miss back home, there is really nothing here I don't like, or could if I do dislike something, it's easily fixable (like the plumbing).

Yesterday, a group of us went to the William Wallace Monument, something we all said we would do in the first week. The campus we are at is literally right below and next to the hill the monument sits on. From our place it was about a fifteen minute walk to the monument and then we spent about an hour and a half walking up the 246 steps and checking out the three floors of things to see on the way to the top. The view from the top is absolutely amazing. You can see the start of the highlands and even a minuscule part of Edinburgh from the top.

Tonight we had our farewell party, our ceilidh (cay-lee). I danced a lot of the traditional dances and sweated my face off in the process. We were holding our ceilidh in the Stirling Rugby Football Club, and the room we were in was not the biggest. There were about fifty of us trying to do dosey do's and swinging from partner to partner. I wish I could remember the names of the specific dances we did, but I think I was having too much fun to pay attention to what the leader of the band was saying.

Tomorrow is my last full day as a Stirling Uni student. And I will be spending the day inside my room packing and cleaning the mess that has become my room. Hopefully if I get done early I can go into Edinburgh, but I highly doubt it. We'll see. I have to say I am not happy about leaving, but I am also very anxious for the day when I return. And you better believe that I will be returning.

No comments: